Tuesday, April 3, 2007

The Road Less Traveled ... to Calvary ... and Back

Holy Week

TWO roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;



The road to truth bears lesser wear
Where barely lit way leads to way;
Oft we can not know just where
This path less trodden, if once spared,
Will lead us then astray.

The road less traveled begs us quest,
To question, thus, alas, is good;
Seek guidance when put to the test,
To know God’s answers, thus, are best
Where two roads diverge in a yellow wood;


Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,



On stumbling, I reach to feel
A common ground, with common sin;
Equal all, on even keel,
My host of imperfections real
There’s communion in the state I’m in;

No use in hiding, in disguise,
To mask the scent that sin doth ooze
‘Tis better to use lowly eyes
To see that humble ways are wise
‘N then, the road less traveled, choose.


And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.


Two brothers claim this fork and hence
When faced with e’er a choice as this
Their choosing differed justly thence
One took the road well-trodden whence
He found the error in his bliss,

Upon which turn, he traveled round
To beg a Father turn his eye
And learn the Father’s feast abounds
To celebrate the lost who’ve found
That road less traveled by;



I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.


While this path be not normal pace
That which would never happen, will
To lavish and keep not a trace
No held reserve here, just in case
Our paths this scent of perfume fills

Per chance to lavish, ask not why
This seeker comes to know
That on the road less traveled by
Therein all the difference lies
That beckons us the way to go …

No comments: